How To Find The Best Plano TX Divorce Modification Lawyers

By Stephen Gray

When a married couple get divorced, their relationship does not end there, especially if they had children. This is because an ex-spouse can always seek to have the divorce decree modified for one reason or another. Many people often think that once they have divided their marital estate, determined custody and signed the necessary documents, the relationship ends there. The sad truth is that you can always be brought back to court to have the terms and conditions modified. If you find yourself in this type of situation, you should look for the best Plano TX divorce modification lawyers.

What usually prompts an ex-spouse to seek to have the decree modified is a change of circumstances. For instance, a mandatory salary cut means that you will not be able to afford the original child support payments. In such a case, you can go to court and give arguments why a change is necessary. Sufficient evidence will be required to convince the judge to order the modification.

On the other hand, if you have custody of your kids and they are now teenagers, you may require an increase in the child support payments because teenagers are more costly to raise. Besides, the cost of living is always on the rise. You can find a suitable family lawyer to help you petition the court to modify the arrangement you currently have.

It is important to note that you can agree, informally, to modify the original arrangement based on a change of circumstances. While the new arrangement may be followed for a long time, it is not legally binding. A spouse can still go to court to have the original agreement enforced if it favors them.

People change with time. This is a fact of life the court appreciates. If at the time the degree was issued you were a drunk, you can join an AA program or go for rehab. Once you complete your treatment and get your life together, you can go back to court to ask for modifications to be made on your visitation rights and child support payments. After all, you may want to contribute more to their growth and well-being. If you present sufficient evidence and strong arguments, you can get what you want.

If the court granted you visitation rights for Saturdays, you can go back to court to have the terms of your visitation rights modified. You would have to provide evidence to justify the request for the adjustment. Alternatively, you can negotiate with your ex-spouse, informally of course.

When looking for an attorney to help you with the case, you should make a shortlist of experienced family lawyers. The best attorneys are usually those with a lot of experience. The success rate of the attorneys on your shortlist should also be compared.

An important point to note about divorce modifications is that some things cannot be modified. For instance, if you think you should have gotten a bigger share of the marital estate, you cannot go back to court to seek a modification of the same. In fact, the only reason that may necessitate this is discovery of property your ex-spouse failed to disclose.

About the Author: